Partially clad man accused of grabbing police detective
Police say they arrested a partially clothed Biddeford man who grabbed a police detective through his clothing.
Luis H. Lopez, 51, was charged with unlawful sexual contact after Thursday’s incident on a trail in a wooded area near Mill Brook Road, according to police.
Since early summer, Saco police have stepped up patrols and charged several men with a variety of crimes, including indecent conduct, assault and unlawful sexual contact, in an effort to stop illegal activity on the city’s walking and hiking trails.
On Aug. 22, Detective Ken Foss was checking Mill Brook Road when he saw Lopez allegedly engaged in suspicious activity, according to police. Lopez was not wearing a shirt and had his pants down when Foss saw him on the trail, Police Chief Brad Paul said in a news release.
Lopez allegedly gestured for the detective to come closer, then reached out and grabbed Foss through his clothing, Paul said.
Lopez was arrested and released after posting bail. He is scheduled to appear in Biddeford District Court on Sept. 25.
Paul said his department will continue their efforts to stop illicit behavior “until the issue ceases to be a problem” for users of the city’s trail system.
Man arrested for stealing wallet from fitting room
Police have arrested an Old Town resident who they say stole a man’s wallet from a store changing room at the Bangor Mall, then went to a nearby bar to have a drink.
Officers responded to the Macy’s department store at about 9 p.m. Wednesday after a man said that while trying on suits for an upcoming wedding, someone stole his shorts containing his wallet and other personal items from the fitting room.
A Macy’s cashier gave police a description of a man she said was acting strangely.
The responding officer decided to check out nearby bars for the man. At Chili’s, a bartender pointed out a customer fitting the description sitting at the bar.
Police said Dennis Duval, 48, was arrested and the stolen property was recovered.
Suspect pleads not guilty in murder of Trenton man
A man who police say killed a man, withdrew money from the victim’s bank account, drove the victim’s car and even told some people he was the other man has pleaded not guilty to murder.
WABI-TV reported that William Morse of Trenton entered his plea Thursday in Hancock County court.
Prosecutors allege that Morse, 43, killed Richard Bellittieri, 61, last year. The victim’s remains were found earlier this month near his Trenton home and an autopsy determined he had been shot four times, including twice in the head.
Authorities said Morse had Bellittieri’s social security card, driver’s license, and bank cards.
Morse’s lawyer has previously said there is no evidence that his client shot the victim.
Authorities have not offered a possible motive for the killing.
Ann LePage will take part in Run for the Fallen Maine
First lady Ann LePage will participate in the Run for the Fallen Maine on Sunday to benefit families of fallen service members.
The 3.1-mile run/walk/race winds around the Eastern Promenade in Portland, and begins and ends at Ocean Gateway on Thames Street. The race starts at 10 a.m., with opening ceremonies preceding the race.
“It’s a true pleasure for me to be a part of this memorial run,” LePage said in a statement. “Military service men and women and their families have a special place in my heart, and I want to do anything and everything I can to show my support for them and my gratitude for their service.”
Run for the Fallen Maine provides families of fallen veterans with general assistance funds and scholarships.