Tuesday, December 10, 2013
By Jessica Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom's of Maine, the widely known Kennebunk-based producer of all-natural personal care products, is eliminating 28 jobs nationally as it changes its sales and marketing teams.
In this March 2006 file photo, founder Tom Chappell is seen through the Kennebunk Outlet store window for Tom's of Maine. Tom’s of Maine, the widely known producer of all-natural personal care products, is eliminating 28 jobs nationally as it changes its sales and marketing teams.
John Patriquin / Staff Photographer
As part of the changes, the company said it would create 15 new positions. All people affected by the cuts are eligible to apply for open positions, the company said.
The company said the changes in the sales and marketing departments would affect workers in Maine and outside the state. In Maine, seven jobs are being eliminated and six new roles are being created. In Maine overall, Tom's currently has 93 employees. After the realignment, it will have 92 people here, the company said.
The company has its headquarters in Kennebunk and its manufacturing facility in Sanford, where it produces products such as toothpaste, deodorant, soap and mouthwash.
Part of the changes will help Tom's have a team dedicated to product innovation. The new team will track trends in the natural products industry and develop new products. The company said that prior to the change, that work was being done by people with varied responsibilities.
Tom's in January moved its research and development department to Piscataway, N.J., eliminating seven positions in Maine.
Piscataway is home to the research and development arm of consumer products giant Colgate-Palmolive, which in 2006 bought an 84 percent stake in Tom's of Maine for $100 million. Tom and Kate Chappell, who founded the company in 1970, own the remaining 16 percent.
Among other changes, Tom's is focusing on shopper marketing, which is a new function at the company. The new team will focus on helping shoppers understand natural products. The group also will work with retailers to develop packaging, merchandising and promotions for their shoppers.
Jessica Hall can be contacted at 791-6316 or at: