Sunday, March 9, 2014
By NICOLE WINFIELD / The Associated Press
(Continued from page 1)
Cardinal Carlo Caffarra, second from right, and Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke, right, walk past two Swiss guards as they leave after a meeting at the Vatican on Friday.
The Associated Press
This photo provided by the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano on Friday shows the stoves inside the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican where the ballots will be burned during the conclave.
The Associated Press
"Obviously the cardinals must arrive at this moment with all the information that is useful to make a judgment on such an important issue," he said. "The preparation is absolutely fundamental."
According to Vatican analysts and even some cardinals themselves, the list of papabili, or those considered to have the stuff to be pope, remains relatively unchanged from when Benedict XVI first announced he would resign Feb. 28. But some Italian media have speculated that with governance such a key issue in this conclave, the cardinals might also be considering an informal pope-secretary of state "ticket."
The Vatican secretary of state is primarily responsible for running the Holy See, but it's not an elected job like the pope. It's a papal appointment, and will be a closely watched papal appointment this time around given the stakes.
Also Friday, the cardinals formally agreed to exempt two of their voting-age colleagues from the conclave who in past weeks had signaled they wouldn't come: Cardinal Julius Darmaatjadja, emeritus archbishop of Jakarta, who is ill, and Scottish Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who resigned last week after admitting to sexual misconduct.
That formality brings the number of cardinal electors to 115; two thirds of which -- or 77 votes -- is required for victory. Benedict in 2007 changed the conclave rules to keep the two-thirds requirement throughout the voting process after Pope John Paul II decreed that after about 12 days of inconclusive balloting the threshold could switch to a simple majority.
By reverting back to the traditional two-thirds requirement, Benedict was apparently aiming to ensure a consensus candidate emerges quickly and ruling out the possibility that cardinals might hold out until the simple majority kicks in to push through their candidate. His decision might prove prescient, given the apparent lack of a front-runner in this conclave.
Lombardi said a few items of business remain outstanding, including drawing lots for rooms at the Vatican's Santa Marta hotel, where the cardinals will be sequestered once the conclave begins.
On Friday, he showed a video of the room in which the new pope will spend his first night as pontiff; it features a bed with a heavy, dark wood headboard featuring a carved image of Christ's face. There is also a sitting area and a study.
The pope is expected to stay there for a few weeks even after the election, since the papal apartment in the Apostolic Palace must be renovated. The apartment was sealed Feb. 28, just after Benedict resigned, and cannot be reopened until the new pope formally takes possession of it.
Lombardi explained that after an eight-year papacy, certain plumbing and maintenance work that had been put off must be carried out -- work that cannot begin, however, until the seal on the doors is broken.