April 11, 2013

Local & State Dispatches

From staff and news services


click image to enlarge

In this July 2009 file photo, police search then-alleged killer Rory Holland's house at 58 South St. in Biddeford. The home, which fell into disrepair, has been demolished and will become a park.

Gregory Rec / Staff Photographer

York High administrator selected as new principal

The Biddeford School Committee on Tuesday unanimously approved the hiring of a new high school principal.

Jeremie Sirois, an assistant principal at York High School, will take the top job at Biddeford High on July 1. He will replace Britton Wolfe, who announced in February he was leaving for personal reasons.

Sirois lives in Biddeford with his wife and two young sons. Before joining York High School eight years ago, he taught English at Saco Middle School.

Superintendent Jeremy Ray said the school department got 21 applications for the position and interviewed five candidates. The interview process included a team of 14 teachers, parents, students and administrators from across the city, he said.

Ray said the school department was aggressive in its search for a new principal so it wouldn't have to compete later with other schools looking for new principals, including South Portland, Bonny Eagle and Scarborough.

Wolfe will continue to lead the high school until Sirois takes over this summer.

Killer's home demolished as a small crowd applauds

The dilapidated home of convicted murder Rory Holland was leveled Wednesday, six months after the Biddeford City Council voted to take the property by eminent domain.

The lot, at 58 South St., will become part of a small park nearby. A small crowd gathered to cheer as the house was knocked down.

Holland was convicted of two counts of murder in late 2010 and given two life sentences. The murders of brothers Derek and Gage Greene happened in 2009 on the sidewalk and street in front of Holland's home.

The house was dilapidated even when Holland lived there.

The city acquired the home for $30,000, its current appraised value. It is unlikely Holland will ever see any of the money because Tammy Cole, the mother of Derek and Gage Greene, won a wrongful-death lawsuit against him.


Ted Nugent targets Asylum for August rock concert

Ted Nugent, the brash '70s rocker known in recent years for his support of gun owners' rights, will be doing a show at a Portland nightclub in August.

Nugent is scheduled to play Asylum, 121 Center St., at 9 p.m. on Aug. 12. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Monday and range in price from $39 to $42.

Tickets will be available at Asylum, or online at Portlandasylum.com and Ticketweb.com.

Nugent, 64, played in Maine in July at the Bangor Waterfront Pavilion, with REO Speedwagon and Styx.

His biggest musical success came in the 1970s, when he released such songs as "Stranglehold," "Cat Scratch Fever," and "Wango Tango."


Two Texans plead innocent to trafficking in bath salts

Two Texas residents arrested in what authorities call Maine's largest bath salts bust have pleaded not guilty.

Authorities say Elizabeth Fuentes, 31, and Arthur Coy, 49, both of Houston, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Penobscot County court to drug trafficking charges.

They were among four people arrested in Hermon in January when authorities also seized 18 pounds of the synthetic drug with a street value of more than $1.2 million.

Authorities say the drugs were manufactured in China and imported to Maine and Texas.

WABI-TV reports that two Maine men were also charged in connection with the case.

Bath salts is a synthetic hallucinogen that can make users delusional and violent.


Naval Shipyard ceremony honors Thresher's victims

A bell tolled 129 times at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard on Wednesday, once for each of the men who died aboard the USS Thresher submarine 50 years ago.

Hundreds of workers at the shipyard gathered Wednesday morning for a ceremony commemorating the anniversary of the tragedy.

The submarine began its final mission from the shipyard on the morning of April 10, 1963. It was approximately 200 miles off of Cape Cod, conducting sea trials.

The Thresher sank toward the ocean floor after losing power, until it imploded below crush depth into thousands of pieces.

A number of remembrances and ceremonies have been held in recent days honoring the crew.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)