June 24, 2013

Police probe what led to death of baby from Bath

Authorities continue their investigation into events surrounding the death of the 9-month-old girl, but no one has been charged with any crime.

By Dennis Hoey dhoey@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

BATH – An investigation into the death of a baby girl from Bath continued Sunday as state and local police tried to piece together the events that led to her death.

Deputy Attorney General William Stokes, who serves as chief of the agency's Criminal Investigation Division, confirmed Sunday that an autopsy on the girl's body was performed by the state Medical Examiner's Office on Saturday. Stokes said he could not comment on the results.

Nine-month-old Jaelyn Malcolm died Friday night at Maine Medical Center in Portland after being transferred to the Portland hospital from Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick.

Stokes said his office, with assistance from Maine State Police and Bath police, is actively investigating the girl's death.

"By law, in all deaths of a child under the age of 3, we are required to conduct a full investigation," he said.

Stokes said that as of Sunday night no one had been charged or arrested in connection with the baby's death.

Stokes said an autopsy and full investigation are warranted in any case where an infant dies or is injured because infants are physically much more vulnerable than adults.

"The same medical rules that apply to an adult do not hold true for an infant," Stokes said. "It's important that we understand how an infant is injured or how they died."

Jaelyn was the daughter of Danielle Malcolm, 21, of 29 Windjammer Way in Bath.

Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Maine State Police, could not be reached Sunday, but Saturday he said police interviewed Malcolm and her live-in boyfriend, Benjamin McNeill, after the girl's death.

McCausland said the baby's mother took the girl to the Brunswick hospital about 4:30 a.m. Thursday. The girl was eventually transferred to Maine Medical Center.

"There are unexplained injuries to the child. She was in distress," McCausland said Saturday.

No one answered the telephone at Malcolm's residence in Bath on Sunday night.

"So tired of people asking if I need anything," Malcolm wrote on her Facebook page Sunday. "I just need my baby girl in my arms."

Stokes said hospitals, especially doctors and nurses, are "mandated reporters," which means they must report any suspicions surrounding a child's injuries to authorities.

"The theory is to err on the side of caution when a child is involved," he said. 

Dennis Hoey can be contacted at 791-6365 or at dhoey@pressherald.com


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)