April 14, 2013

Death penalty's demise in Maine

The famous Smuttynose Island case fueled the debate over executions that ultimately led to abolishing them.

By KAREN MARKS LEMKE Saint Joseph's College

One of Maine's most bizarre murder cases took place 140 years ago, March 5, 1873, on Smuttynose Island, one of the Isles of Shoals located off Portsmouth, N.H., but within the limits of the state of Maine.

click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge

Staff Photo Illustration/Michael Fisher

Additional Photos Below

The outcome would fuel the long-simmering controversy over the death penalty, ultimately killing Maine's 1837 capital punishment law.

Smuttynose was home to a Norwegian fisherman named John Hontvet, his wife, Maren, her sister Karen, their brother Ivan Christenson, and his wife, Anethe. When John and Ivan left Smuttynose on the morning of March 5 to row to Portsmouth for bait, little did they know they would return to the scene of one of Maine's worst crimes of the century.

As John and Ivan came ashore for bait, they were met by Louis Wagner, a Prussian fisherman who was previously in Hontvet's employ, and who had lived with the family for just under a year.  When the expected bait did not arrive by train, Hontvet remarked to his brother-in-law that they would not be able to return home that night. The Norwegian also made the mistake of mentioning how much he had just cleared in his fishing business.

The two remarks served as a green light to Wagner. On that moonlit March night and with a favorable tide, the 29-year-old Wagner stole a dory and set out for Smuttynose around 8 p.m.

About midnight, a figure slipped into the island's lone cottage and quietly fastened the door of the bedroom occupied by Maren and Anethe. The midnight marauder ransacked the house for his expected bounty -- some $600, according to John Hontvet. He instead found Karen Christenson asleep on a lounge in the kitchen -- who made the mistake of waking up.

The intruder seized a chair and began striking her repeatedly until she fell against the bedroom door. The clock fell from the mantel and froze 1 a.m. as the hour of the murder.

Karen's fall against the door unfastened the latch, and Maren threw it open to discover the murderer poised with a chair in the air, set to strike again. Frantically pulling Karen inside, Maren barracaded the door and directed Anethe to jump out the window and scream in the hopes of alerting neighboring islanders.

Anethe never made it. The intruder bludgeoned her as she screamed in recognition, "Louis, Louis!" Maren Hontvet ran from the house in her nightdress and hid in a rocky cave near the shore for the rest of the night. 

In the morning she crept back to the cottage, where she found the bodies of her sister and sister-in-law. The little dwelling had been rummaged, but the killer failed to find Hontvet's currency hidden in a trunk. His paltry bounty consisted of three $5 bills, some silver change and a few coppers bearing Norwegian stamps.

After finding the money, Louis Wagner fixed himself a snack in the kitchen before rowing back to Portsmouth. 

He turned up at his boarding house where he explained his rough appearance -- and absence -- as the result of too much ale followed by a drunken stupor. Later that day Wagner hopped a train to Boston about the same time Hontvet and his brother-in-law returned to Smuttynose and made their chilling discovery.

By the end of the day police had located Louis Wagner and placed him under arrest. He was returned to Portsmouth, where a mob surrounded him with lynching on its mind. 

Wagner was taken to the York County Jail in Alfred to await trial for murder. On June 18, 1873, he was convicted of murder and was returned to the jail -- briefly. He staged a sensational escape before finally being captured in New Hampshire.

In September of that year, Wagner was sentenced to be hanged after one year's confinement at the Maine State Prison in Thomaston.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)