August 8, 2010

Uphill or downhill, he often sets the pace

From staff reports

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Christine Snow-Reaser, left, of Dayton shares a laugh with Simonetta Piergentili of Wilmington, Mass., after completing the TD Bank Beach to Beacon 10K on Saturday.

Derek Davis/Staff Photographer

Four Samuelsons were involved in Saturday's race. Joining their parents were Abby, who flew in Friday from Portland, Ore., to take part in the race under Nike's corporate sponsorship program, and Anders, who earned a bib number in the race lottery.

PERFECT WEATHER conditions -- low humidity, temperatures somewhere around 60 -- attributed to "one of the lightest days we've had medically in years," said Chris Troyanos, the race's medical coordinator.

Only 43 runners were treated, well down from the 106 that headed into the medical tent after last year's race in hot, humid conditions.

"Obviously, everything is predicated by the weather," said Troyanos. "With the humidity low and the temperatures low, it worked out well."

Mike Baumann, the race medical director, said the staff didn't have to use ice tubs on anyone.

BEN TRUE of North Yarmouth, who holds the Maine record, competed in his first Beach to Beacon as an elite runner.

"I really enjoy trying to mix it up with the best of them," said True. "There's more to run for with the prize purse."

He wasn't particularly thrilled with his time, reporting that he felt flat right out of the start.

True finished 12th overall in 29:01. He set the Maine record in 2009 at 29:10.

"It went. I finished. I felt really flat," said True. "After about the 5K mark, I was able to slowly get back in. I saw one of the lead packs ahead and I thought I could break them up. I tried reeling them in."

True has the Falmouth (Mass.) Road Race on tap next, where he said he will "try to get things fixed up."

His plans are to move next month to Lyme, N.H., near Hanover, where he raced for Dartmouth as a collegiate runner. He will be running for a group called In the Arena.

ETHIOPIAN RUNNER Dejene Berhanu ran the race in 29:15, almost exactly a year to the day after undergoing surgery in Portland for congenital ptosis, or a droopy eyelid.

Berhanu came to Maine in 2008 to run his first Beach to Beacon and was assigned to live with the Berman family in Cape Elizabeth. Dr. Jeff Berman, an opthalmologist, noticed Berhanu's condition, which forced him to lift his right eyebrow to see clearly.

It took about a year of coordinating via e-mail, but about 48 hours after the race, Berhanu underwent a 45-minute surgery at Maine Eye Center, free of charge.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)