LAHORE, Pakistan — Islamist gunmen and a suicide squad lobbed grenades, sprayed bullets from atop a minaret and took hostages Friday in attacks on two mosques packed with worshippers from a minority sect in Pakistan. At least 80 people were killed and dozens wounded.

The strikes — the deadliest against the Ahmadi community — highlight the threat to minority religious groups by the same militants who have repeatedly attacked Pakistan’s U.S.-allied government and threatened to destabilize the nuclear-armed nation.

The tactics echoed those militants have used against government, foreign and security targets in Pakistan, but they had never before been directed against a religious minority.

Two teams of heavily armed attackers — seven men in total — staged the raids minutes apart, seizing hostages and apparently planning to fight to the death. Three died when they detonated their suicide vests. Two were captured.

“It was like a war going on around me. The cries I heard sent chills down my spine,” said Luqman Ahmad, a survivor.

Shiite Muslims have borne the brunt of individual suicide bombings and targeted killings for years in Sunni-majority Pakistan, though Christians and Ahmadis have also faced violence. The long-standing sectarian violence in the country has been exacerbated by the rise of the Sunni extremist Taliban and al-Qaida movements.

Pakistan’s Geo TV channel said the Punjab province branch of the Pakistani Taliban had claimed responsibility. However, repeated attempts by The Associated Press to reach the group were not successful. The Pakistani Taliban are believed to have played a role in the failed car bomb attempt in New York’s Times Square earlier this month.

Ahmadis are reviled as heretics by mainstream Muslims for their belief that their sect’s founder was a savior foretold by the Quran, Islam’s holy book. The group has experienced years of state-sanctioned bias and occasional attacks by radical Sunni Muslims in Pakistan, but never before in such a large-scale, sophisticated fashion.

The attacks Friday took place in the Model Town and Garhi Shahu neighborhoods of Lahore.

The eastern city is Pakistan’s second-largest. A key political, military and cultural center, it has seen some of the most spectacular militant attacks in the country over the past year.

The assault at Model Town lasted about an hour and involved four attackers spraying worshippers with bullets before exploding hand grenades, said Sajjad Bhutta, Lahore’s deputy commissioner.

Several miles away at Garhi Shahu, the standoff lasted around four hours.

TV footage of the siege showed an attacker atop a minaret firing an assault rifle. At one point, he raised both hands as if in victory, then moments later ducked when bullets struck the cream-colored mosque. Outside, police traded bullets with the gunmen.

Ahmad, 36, was waiting for prayers to start when he heard gunshots and an explosion.

He lay down and closed his eyes as the attackers sprayed bullets around him. “I kept on praying that God may save me from this hell,” he said.

After police commandos stormed in and announced the attackers were dead, Ahmad stood to see bodies and blood everywhere. “I cannot understand what logic these terrorists have by attacking worshippers, and harmless people like us,” he said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.