CUTLER — Friends of Little River Lighthouse will host one of three open houses scheduled this summer on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Most summer dates at the historic beacon are reserved for overnight guests. The lighthouse is located on Little River Island, off the coast of Cutler, near Machias.

The friends group will provide free boat rides to the 15-acre island, departing from the town landing at Cutler Harbor. Refreshments will be served and souvenirs will be for sale.

Established in 1847, the present lighthouse was built in 1876. It’s 41 feet tall and constructed of brick and steel. The site also includes a boathouse built in 1881 and a keeper’s house built in 1888.

Additional open houses are scheduled for July 31 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. and Aug. 14 from 1 to 3 p.m.

All open houses are weather dependent and may be canceled because of high winds, fog, strong rain or rough seas.

Visit for more information.