State confirms report of maggots on patient

The Maine Department of Health and Human Services has released a report saying maggots were found on the body of a patient at a Portland nursing home.

WMTW-TV reported that staff at St. Joseph’s Manor made the discovery. The state said the staff waited four days to treat the patient. The maggots were around the patient’s groin and numbered in the hundreds, according to one estimate.

The patient was in hospice care and also had bed sores and maggots on his catheter tube.

The male patient, whose name was not released, has died of unrelated causes.

David Hamlin, administrator of Saint Joseph’s Manor, released a statement saying the incident was an isolated one.

Hamlin said the nursing staff immediately provided care to remedy the situation and medical specialists were contacted to ensure that proper follow-up care was given.


WW II-era skull sent to Japan for proper burial

A Maine memorabilia collector said a World War II-era skull with the words “1945 Jap Skull Okinawa” written on it is on its way back to Japan for a proper burial.

Ralph McLeod of Holden said representatives of the Japanese government took possession of the skull on Thursday.

McLeod told the Bangor Daily News he purchased the skull for $50 in 2005 from a dealer who obtained it at an estate sale in southern Maine.

He said his goal had always been to return the skull to Japan.

Experts said the skull is that of a female between the ages of 18 and 25.

An official said the Japanese emissaries who picked up the skull are one of four such groups traveling the world to pick up Japanese remains.


Man threatening to set home ablaze arrested

Police arrested a 40-year-old man who spread gasoline around his house and threatened to set it on fire in a dispute with his girlfriend.

Walter Chase of Norton Avenue Extension was charged with domestic violence, attempted arson and reckless conduct after the incident, which occurred about 10 p.m. Thursday.

Police allege that Chase spread the gasoline in his living room and kitchen and threatened to ignite it.

No one was hurt in the incident, York police said, and the state Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.


Man held for rape faces witness-tampering charge

A 44-year-old Maine man in jail on sexual assault and other charges is facing a new charge he tried to get the alleged victim to not testify or give false testimony against him.

Bradley Lemay, of Augusta, has been in the Knox County Jail since June for allegedly raping a woman at knifepoint in her Camden home. Lemay was released from prison in February after serving 21 years following a rape conviction in 1989.

The Bangor Daily News said Lemay is now charged with tampering with a victim for allegedly writing a letter from jail to his brother asking him to either pay or threaten the victim so she either wouldn’t testify or would testify falsely.

Camden police said the brother, who lives in southern Maine, instead contacted police.


Report: Wheels were down when floatplane crashed

A preliminary report said all four wheels of a floatplane were down when it crashed on Maine’s Moosehead Lake and killed the pilot.

Telford Allen II was killed Aug. 1 when he attempted to land his plane in front of his home in Rockwood. The 64-year-old Allen, the founder of Telford Aviation Services of Bangor, was a pilot with more than 23,000 hours of flight experience.

The National Transportation Safety Board’s report said the landing gear was down at the time of the accident. Landing gear on pontoon-equipped planes is supposed to be up when landing on water, and down when landing on hard surfaces.

Allen’s passenger, 61-year-old Natalie Holmes-Moody, of Rockwood, survived the accident.


Two teens charged in local car theft

A Cumberland County Sheriff’s deputy charged two teenagers with unauthorized use of a car, burglary to a motor vehicle and theft following their apprehension Friday morning.

Sgt. Al Winslow had responded to a report of a stolen 2006 Toyota Camry on Hawthorne Road in Raymond at 5:30 a.m.

A short while later he spotted the car with two teenagers inside on Spiller Hill Road.

When he pulled the car over, the two ran.

Winslow and his K-9 Jag chased and caught the suspects in nearby woods, according to the sheriff’s office.

Winslow determined the suspects not only had taken the car but had broken into several cars in the area, the sheriff’s office said.

The teenage boys, 15 and 16, were released from Cumberland County Jail to their parents


Hospital facing no action for accidental overdose

The Maine Department of Health and Human Services said it will take no action against a hospital where a patient died after being given an accidental drug overdose.

The department’s Anne Flanagan said no corrective action is needed for the Mayo Regional Hospital in Dover-Foxcroft because the corrective action plan put in place by the hospital after the June 4 death is working.

Fifty-one-year-old Timothy Harvey of Atkinson went to the Mayo Emergency Room with symptoms of allergic shock.

At one point he was given 10 times the normal dose of a drug used to treat such conditions.

He died despite efforts to save him.

The Bangor Daily News said one action the hospital took was to replace vials of the medicine with single-dose applicators.




Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.