KITTERY – For the first time in a long time, the Yarmouth football team was given a physical test. The Clippers were up to the task, with a pair of goal-line stands and the bruises to prove it, as they beat a hard-hitting underdog from Traip, 27-7, Saturday afternoon in a Campbell Conference Class C game.

“We haven’t been hit like that in a long time,” Yarmouth Coach Jim Hartman said. “That was a good football team. We’re going to see them in the playoffs.”

Yarmouth (3-0) has won 15 straight. Traip (1-2) looked like it was on its way to being just another blowout victim as it fell behind 12-0 on Yarmouth touchdown runs from Caleb Uhi (20 yards) and Nickolai Pelletier (1 yard) less than five minutes into the game.

But over the final 43 minutes, Traip was a physical match for the defending Class C champion. The Rangers forced four turnovers. Behind what Hartman touted as a “Class-A line,” Traip outrushed Yarmouth, 241-202 in that span. Yarmouth had a 294-249 edge for the game.

While Yarmouth backs Anders Overhaug (13 carries, 110 yards), Pelletier (14-93) and Uhi (9-68) showed cutback ability the Rangers do not have, Traip’s Tyler Nay (22-86), Cory Aldecoa (21-109), and Devon Draker (7-32) gained nearly as many yards.

“Physically, we really beat them up and I’m proud of the kids,” Traip Coach Ron Ross said.

“For us to survive the four turnovers, the penalties and the physical beating we just took and for us to come out on top on that score, it’s very rewarding,” Hartman said.

Traip closed the score to 12-7 when Nay capped a 13-play, 71-yard drive with 8:04 left in the half. The Rangers used 13 consecutive running plays and never faced a third down longer than a yard on the drive.

Pelletier and Ben Weinrich combined to bring down Traip quarterback Matt Clifford for a 2-yard loss on third and 6 on Traip’s next possession, stalling a march into Clippers territory. Yarmouth then responded with an impressive 11-play drive of its own, overcoming two holding penalties, with Pelletier scoring from a yard out with 33 seconds before halftime.

Traip certainly created its chances to close the gap in the third quarter.

A long drive to start the second half ended when Nay fumbled at the Yarmouth 15. Pelletier fumbled it right back, with Joe Harty recovering at the 13. Yarmouth stopped the 235-pound Nay for no gain on fourth-and-two.

Clifford picked off a deflected pass and returned it 15 yards to the Yarmouth 27. Aldecoa busted tackles up the middle and reached the 2, hauled down from behind by hustling lineman Jackson Bartlett. Again, the Yarmouth defense was up to the task. A Clifford sneak lost a foot. Nay was thrown for a 3-yard loss and then stopped for a 2-yard gain.

On fourth down, Clifford’s pass into the end zone went off tight end Nick Ovington.