MANCHESTER, N.H. — Andy Miele redeemed himself a bit and got the best of his college teammate to tie Wednesday morning’s game with less than five minutes to play.

But goalie Jeff Zatkoff and the Manchester Monarchs prevailed for a 4-3 win over the Pirates in front of a mostly-kids Education Day crowd of 5,015 at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

Linden Vey scored the winner for the Monarchs with 1:44 to play.

Miele and Zatkoff spent the 2007-08 season as Miami University teammates — Miele was arriving and Zatkoff finishing up.

Late in the second period, Miele broke in alone and Zatkoff stuffed him.

“I thought I had his number until late in the third period,” Zatkoff said. “But he’s obviously a great offensive player and he’s going to get his looks.”

Miele got a great one, thanks to the work of Brock Trotter and Mathieu Beaudoin down low.

“Beaudoin made a great no-look pass to me,” Miele said. “That’s just great hockey sense by him.”

Miele, in front of the net, put the puck past Zatkoff for his fourth goal in six games with the Pirates to tie it 3-3 with 4:32 left to play.

The goal helped make up for a Miele miscue on a short-handed goal that had given Manchester a 3-2 lead.

Marc-Andre Cliche took the puck from Miele at center ice and broke in on Portland goalie Curtis McElhinney (24 saves) and beat him with a backhander with 10:19 left in regulation.

“I was pretty upset,” Miele said. “You can either bury yourself in a hole and feel bad for yourself or get back out there and keep working hard. Our line got back out there and kept working hard and we got one back.”

But the Monarchs weren’t done yet.

On the winner, Vey snuck behind the defense and tucked a cross-ice pass from Justin Azevedo behind McElhinney.

The Pirates were unable to back up Sunday’s impressive 4-1 win here with another and fell to 4-6-0-1.

The Monarchs improved to 6-8-0-1.

Portland Coach Ray Edwards was pleased with his team’s effort and energy in the 10:30 a.m. start, not so much with a few costly turnovers.

“The pace was good,” he said. “With 10 minutes left in the third period we’d only given up 22 shots or something. We worked, our feet were moving and we were physical. But you’ve got to manage those last 10 minutes better. It is what it is. You can’t turn the puck over like that. You’ve got to learn from it.”

The teams swapped goals in both the first and second periods. Portland defenseman Nathan Oystrick struck first at 5:39 of the opening period and David Meckler got it back less than a minute later.

Brett Hextall put the Pirates back on top 6:08 into the second period and Ray Kaunisto evened things at 2-2 at 11:24.

NOTES: Matt Watkins of the Pirates took a big hit behind the net while setting up Oystrick’s goal and was done for the day with an upper body injury. … Late in the game, a hard shot hit Trotter in the hand and he immediately left the ice. “That was not very good,” Edwards said. “We got a couple of guys banged up. We’ll see what happens.”