A man fired shots inside his home then became involved in an armed standoff with police this morning.

Police arrested Matthew Senecal, 39, of 31 Emerald Lane at 5:37 a.m., and charged him with domestic violence terrorizing and domestic violence reckless conduct.

Brunswick Deputy Police Chief Marc Hagan said police were called to the home for a domestic disturbance at 12:02 this morning.

He said there were several weapons in the house, including rifles and shotguns, and that during the domestic situation that preceded the arrival of police, a shotgun was fired inside the home.

We know of at least one round that was fired,” Hagan said.

Senecal’s wife and two small children fled the residence unharmed, Hagan said, and took shelter at a nearby residence.

During the standoff, a “reverse 911” call went out to residents within half a mile of the location, asking residents to stay in their residences and away from their windows. No shots were fired while police were on scene.

A Portland Police Department special response team was called, but the situation resolved before they arrived. The Brunswick Police Department Special Response Team surrounded the house with Senecal inside alone.

Initially, police were unable to make contact with Senecal, Hagan said. They attempted to call Senecal on his cell phone but he didn’t answer.

Shortly before 5:37 a.m., “we saw movement in the house and we attempted to contact (Senecal) via cell phone and he answered,” Hagan said.

Brunswick police Detective Aaron Bailey spoke to Senecal briefly and asked him to come out of the residence. Senecal complied and came outside unarmed, and was taken into custody without incident.

He was taken to the Brunswick Police Department and was being transported to Cumberland County Jail this morning. Hagan said his bail was set at $25,000.

Police continue to investigate what led to the incident. There was extensive damage to the home after Senecal allegedly destroyed personal property, Hagan said.

He added that more charges may be pending against Senecal.

“We’re fortunate that nobody was injured,” Hagan said. “The special response team reacted exactly as we would expect them too, and nobody was hurt.”

Collinsbrook Road was closed to traffic in the area of Emerald Lane but was reopened soon after Senecal was taken into custody.

[email protected]

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: