BRUNSWICK — The Mt. Ararat High School field hockey team broke into the win column Thursday with a 6-0 Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference victory over rival Brunswick.

The Eagles improved to 1-5 and are scheduled to visit Hampden Academy on Saturday, while the host Dragons dipped to 1-6 and host Messalsonkee on Tuesday,

The Eagles led in shots 22-8 and in penalty corners 10-1. MA goaltender Nellie Hetherington made eight saves, while Brunswick’s Jordan Van Savage had 16 stops.

Mt. Ararat led 4-0 at the half as Carly Raymond converted a Caitlin LaFountain feed and LaFountain scored three goals with Raymond assisting on two and Rhiannon Hersey adding a helper.



In the second half, LaFountain picked up her fourth goal (Raymond assisting) and Raymond scored unassisted.

The Morse boys soccer team lost at Waterville in a KVAC game played at Thomas College on Thursday.

The Shipbuilders fell to 0-5 and are set to host Medomak Valley on Tuesday.

In the second half, Michael Olivera and Danilo Guthro scored for Waterville, but Morse’s Chris Paulus answered at the 13-minute mark to cut the deficit to 2-1.

However, Guthro added two more scores and Justin Wentworth one for Waterville, which led in shots 17-2.

Morse keeper Myles Day had 12 saves, while Liam Edwards stopped two in the win.

Waterville traveled to McMann Field on Thursday and handed Morse its first defeat of the year. The first half ended with Waterville having a 2-0 lead.

“If not for the effort of Alesha Aucoin the score could have been worse,” said Morse coach Steve Boyce. “Aucoin made the initial save on a first-half penalty kick only to have the rebound find the back of the net.

“Waterville won the territorial war in the second half and took advantage of a depleted Morse defense by pushing across five more goals.”

Waterville remains undefeated at 6-0 and Morse (4-1) is off until next week when it travels to Medomak Valley on Tuesday.

A flurry of goals were tallied in the first half, but after that all offense went cold as Oak Hill and Wiscasset played to a 2-2 Mountain Valley Conference girls soccer tie Thursday.

Miranda Marquis opened the scoring early for the Raiders (2-1-1), while Sarah Barbay also tallied. Miranda McIntire and Katie Lynn Mills scored for Wiscasset, with Mills’ goal making it a 2- 1 contest.

Barbay’s late goal tied the game, and overtime failed to produce a single tally.

Kelsey Collins made 18 saves for Oak Hill, while Kayla Gordon turned aside 13 shots for Wiscasset, now 2-2-1 and set to host St. Dom’s on Monday.


In East-West Conference play on Thursday, Buckfield rallied from a two-goal deficit in the second half, but Meranda Martin punched in the game-winner with 20 minutes left, lifting Richmond to a soccer win.

Chika Obi and Amber Loon scored for the Bobcats (5-1, scheduled to visit Bangor Christian next Thursday), with Autumn Acord picking up an assist.

For the Bucks (4-2), Naudia Wesley scored both goals, with Ashley Campbell being credited with an assist.

Buckfield goaltender Arrabine Dunn made 22 save