FREEPORT

A mobile home under renovation caught fire around noon Tuesday after a generator powered furnace malfunctioned and ignited the floor while the owner was away, according to Freeport Fire Chief Darrel Fournier.

Firefighters from multiple departments rushed to 29 Griffin Road after receiving the call at 12:37 p.m.

Fournier said half of the mobile home was burning as rescuers arrived.

The property and mobile home — approximately 12 feet by 30 feet — are owned by Rick Davis and had no power running to it, Fournier said.

Davis was renovating the mobile home and had a furnace running with a portable generator, Fournier said, “and the furnace malfunctioned and ended up setting the floor of the trailer on fire, and the trailer and whatever was in the trailer was a total loss.”

Fournier said Davis had no insurance on the property, which he estimates sustained an estimated loss of around $20,000 as a result of the fire. The fire chief said Davis was working on the property Tuesday and had left with the furnace running “and came back and saw the fire.”

No one was injured as a result of the fire, which occurred in a rural area of town so Fournier said he had to use tank trucks from Pownal, Durham and Lisbon Falls to provide the water source and draw from portable water tanks.

Fournier said units arrived on scene at 12:42 p.m. Yarmouth, Pownal, Durham, Lisbon Falls and Brunswick fire departments assisted Freeport Fire Department on scene and Cumberland and an engine from Yarmouth provided station coverage. The fire was under control at 1:20 p.m. and the last units left at 2:55 p.m.

[email protected]timesrecord.com



Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: