CUMBERLAND — No one was injured, but firefighters were unable to prevent fire and smoke from causing extensive interior damage to a home at 179 Bruce Hill Road in Cumberland on Tuesday.

The owner of the home returned around 2 p.m. to find smoke pouring out of the 2 1/2-story, wood -frame home. The owner, whose name was unavailable, notified authorities.

Deputy Fire Chief Evariste Bernier said the fire left the residence uninhabitable.

The cause of the fire, which started near a wood stove in the area of the kitchen and living room, remains under investigation by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Firefighters from North Yarmouth, Yarmouth, Falmouth and Gray assisted Cumberland.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.