Falmouth firefighters put out a fire in a commercial building that the town’s fire chief said could have caused more damage Sunday afternoon if not for the building’s sprinkler system, which helped suppress the flames.

A popular fitness center that is part of the large commercial complex on Route 1 had to close because of the fire and won’t reopen before Monday afternoon.

Fire Chief Howard Rice Jr. said a fire alarm sounded at 12:29 p.m. in the multi-use commercial building at 196 Route 1. Firefighters arrived four minutes later and found that the building had been evacuated. The staff at the Foreside Fitness and Tennis Center reported a burning odor and a light haze of smoke on their side of the building.

Rice said the fire started in an electrical room in the Morong Falmouth Service Center, a car dealership at the front of the commercial structure. Rice said the fire burned materials that were stored in the room. He said the sprinkler system helped contain the fire to the electrical room.

It took 26 firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control. No injuries were reported.

Rice said in a press release that the fire could have spread and caused extensive damage to the 65,000-square-foot building. The fitness center is next to the service center.

Foreside Fitness Center posted a message on its website letting members know that it had to close at 1:15 p.m. Sunday and will remain closed Monday morning while the building’s electrical system is repaired.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.