As police continue to investigate the fatal crash between a car and school bus in Norridgewock on Friday that claimed the life of a woman and her 3-year-old son, school officials say the bus was returning from a one-act play festival at Skowhegan High School.

Amanda Carter, 36, and her son Mark Schinzel, both of Meadowbrook Road in New Portland, were pronounced dead at the scene after Carter’s car was struck by the bus at the intersection of Route 2 and Fredericks Corner Road.

Carter’s 2005 Hyundai Elantra failed to stop at the intersection, went directly in front of the bus and was struck broadside, police said. The bus was from School Administrative District 73, based in Livermore Falls.

The bus, which was carrying 41 students and was driven by Stephen Groomes, was returning to Spruce Mountain High School from the drama festival, according to SAD 73 Superintendent Kenneth Healey. He said no one on the bus was injured and the bus was kept running to keep the students warm.

The bus was coming west on Route 2 when the crash occurred. The road had to be shut down afterward as crews cleared the crash scene.

Healey sent a message to members of the school community Saturday morning, informing them of the crash. The message said “there is no doubt all those involved were pretty shook up after the accident.”

“Principal Plourde and Transportation Director Ken Vining responded to the scene,” Healey’s message read. “They ensured all students and coaching staff were transported safely back to Spruce Mountain High School. Principal Plourde arranged for counselors to be available at the high school this morning to assist anyone who needed to process the emotions and feelings generated from last night tragic accident.”

Chief Deputy James Ross of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office said Monday that the crash remains under investigation. He said officers conducted follow-up interviews over the weekend.

He said it appears Carter was not wearing her seatbelt at the time of the crash, which was reported around 9:40 p.m. Friday. Her young son did appear to have been properly strapped into a child car seat.

Ross said it did not look like Carter was distracted by her cellphone, but said police recovered her cellphone and would download its contents to be sure. He said they are also waiting for blood test results, which are mandatory in a crash this scale, and those results could take two to three weeks to get back.

Members of the Maine State Police, the Norridgewock Fire Department, the Smithfield Fire Department and Redington-Fairview General Hospital Emergency Medical Services all assisted the sheriff’s deputies at the accident scene.