The promoter of a popular concert series in Bangor and Portland has been charged by authorities in Portland with misdemeanor domestic violence assault, court records show.

Alexander Gray, 41, of Old Town, who founded Waterfront Concerts in 2010, was arrested Sunday after police allege he knocked down his girlfriend of five years, briefly choked her and repeatedly hit her head against the floor.

Gray founded Waterfront Concerts, which produces concerts, primarily at the Maine State Pier in Portland and Darling’s Waterfront Pavilion in Bangor.

The victim told police that she, Gray and a couple of friends went out Saturday evening in Portland, and that she and Gray had been arguing periodically throughout the night.

Gray wanted to see the victim’s cellphone, but she would not let him, according to a police report.

The couple returned to Gray’s condominium on Nicholas Court in Portland about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, and the argument over the cellphone resumed, according to police.


The victim told police that she began packing a bag because she did not feel safe staying with Gray that night.

Gray then became more upset, according to the documents. Gray demanded that the victim hand over her keys to the apartment they have shared for three years, police said.

She refused, and Gray allegedly grabbed at the purse. The two struggled briefly over the bag before Gray kicked the victim’s legs out from under her, causing her to fall on her back on the floor, according to the court records.

While she was on the floor, Gray allegedly placed one hand around her throat and used his other hand to retrieve the keys.

When the victim tried to scream for help, Gray allegedly grabbed her hair and banged her head against the floor between five and 10 times.

“Each time (her) head hit the ground her vision turned white and at one point she may have lost consciousness,” police wrote in a report.


In her statement to police, the victim wrote: “I remember being afraid and shouting at Alexander, ‘Why are you doing this?’ I don’t know if he answered.”

As she left, Gray yelled that he would be shutting off her phone, according to court records.

The victim was transported to Maine Medical Center for evaluation and treatment. When a police officer met her there, he observed swelling and redness on one side of her head. She reported severe pain in her head and jaw, and said it was painful to talk. Her voice was raspy and it was difficult for her to speak, the officer reported.

Gray was arrested at his home in Old Town by police there and transferred to the custody of Portland police, who charged him and booked him at the Cumberland County Jail.

At one point when Gray was in custody at the jail, he asked whether he would be able to make a statement to “tell his story,” according to court records. Once an officer advised him that to make a statement he would have to be read his Miranda rights and waive the right to remain silent, he declined to answer questions.

Gray has no prior criminal history in Maine, according to the State Bureau of Identification, which tracks criminal charges. He did not return a message seeking comment Friday afternoon.


When reached Friday, the victim declined an interview request.

Portland police initially charged Gray with aggravated assault, a felony. Police said the Cumberland County District Attorney’s Office downgraded the charge to domestic violence assault, which is a misdemeanor. There was no explanation for the change in charges.

Gray was released on $750 secured bail, according to court records, and was ordered to have no contact with the victim, to refrain from using drugs or alcohol and from possessing dangerous weapons – all standard bail conditions.

Matt Byrne can be contacted at 791-6303 or at:

Twitter: MattByrnePPH

Comments are not available on this story.