BARNSTEAD, N.H. —Police here say a Sanford man allegedly crashed a car, broke into a couple of houses, and tried to steal several modes of transportation before police caught up with him in a swamp on Sunday.

They then administered Narcan to Tyler Cann, 24, after they began to see signs of an overdose and he allegedly admitted he had taken fentanyl, said Police Chief Paul Poirier. The police chief said they took Cann to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment before taking him to jail.

Cann is being held at Belknap County Jail on $10,000 cash bail in connection with a number of felonies and misdemeanor charges from burglary to drug possession and theft — 10 at last count, but police say they expect more charges may be coming.

His alleged burglary spree began the Saturday, Poirier said in a telephone interview on Tuesday.

“On Saturday night, he apparently crashed a car not far from our town line and dumped the car in Barnstead, said Poirier. “He decided to to break into a couple of houses and help himself to electronics. He tried to steal a motorcycle but he  couldn’t get it started; he stole a kayak and some poor girl’s bike and a guy’s truck. Reports still coming in.”

The police chief said eight to 10 law enforcement officers from Barnstead, Alton, Pittsfield, Gilmanton, all of New Hampshire, and New Hampshire State Police, searched for Cann on Sunday after a local man said he found someone sitting in the cab of his dump truck.

“We were taking a burglary report up the road and while the officer was taking the report, this man found this guy in the vehicle,” said Poirier. “He took off into the woods and the guy chased him. Our officers joined in and set out a K9 track, but we couldn’t find him right away. A little while later (we) saw him walking, chased him into the woods and into a swamp.”

The police chief said officers found needles in Cann’s possession, one filled with what they believe to be fentanyl.

Cann was arrested in Maine in December on charges of eluding an officer and and reckless conduct after he allegedly drove at high speeds while trying to evade a Maine State Police trooper in Waterboro. Cann was arrested in Sanford 10 days later. Records show he was released from York County Jail in Alfred in March on personal recognizance bail.

Barnstead officials say that in addition to being charged as a fugitive from justice, Cann was charged with possession of narcotics, felony burglary, two counts of attempted theft of a motor vehicle and theft of a laptop computer, all felony charges, as well as misdemeanor resisting arrest and five misdemeanor counts of theft.

Police are still investigating and additional charges may be forthcoming in Barnstead and other jurisdictions.

Barnstead has a number of summer residents, Poirier noted.

“I hate to think people coming up and finding (their summer camps) burglarized,” he said. “That’s yet to be seen.”

— Senior Staff Writer Tammy Wells can be contacted at 324-4444 (local call in Sanford) or 282-1535, ext. 327 or [email protected]

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: