A Portland police officer at the entrance to Casco Bay High School where students were evacuated after police received a text about an active shooter on Monday. Superintendent Ryan Scallon said there was no evidence that there was an active shooter. Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Staff Photographer

A Portland high school building was evacuated Monday morning after police received a text saying there was an active shooter.

But no evidence of such a threat was found in the building housing Casco Bay High School and Portland Arts and Technology High School, Superintendent Ryan Scallon said in a statement.

The Portland Regional Communications Center received a 911 text at 9:21 a.m. stating there was an active shooter at the school, according to Portland police. School staff were unaware of the message when officers arrived, but students were moved to Lyman Moore Middle School.

Fifteen police officers secured the perimeter and searched the building, but found no threat, police said. Staff and students were cleared to return to the building by 11 a.m.

“Based on the information we have, students/staff were never in any danger but the safety of our community is our number one priority. We are grateful to staff and students for being judicious in following our safety protocols and for our families in following our guidance,” Scallon said in a statement Monday afternoon.

Scallon said support for staff and students was available Monday for anyone who wanted help processing the incident.


Casco Bay High School, located on Allen Avenue, has about 400 students. PATHS is located on the same campus and provides career and technical education to students in Greater Portland.

South Portland Superintendent Tim Matheney sent a message to parents about the threat because several South Portland students attend PATHS. He said school staff have reached out to those families.

Students at Mt. Ararat Middle School in Topsham were dismissed for the day because of a bomb threat. Topsham police say the threat was left on a staff member’s voicemail Sunday night and discovered Monday before students arrived. Students were rerouted to Mt. Ararat High School before being released for the day.

No explosive devices were found during a sweep of the middle school by two Maine State Police K9 teams, police said.

Last November, 10 schools across the state were locked down on the same day because of active shooter threats that turned out to be a hoax. The hoaxes, commonly referred to as swatting, have become more common across the country, but that was the first time Maine has dealt with them on a large scale.

Portland police ask anyone who has information that might assist with the investigation to call 874-8575.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.