January 31

Berwick woman in critical condition after house fire

Investigators say the fire at the First Street house started in electrical wiring in the basement.

By David Hench dhench@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

A 63-year-old Berwick woman is in "critical" condition at a Boston hospital after suffering severe smoke inhalation in a fire on First Street on Friday.

Firefighters responded to a fire in a home at 8:30 a.m. and found Rebecca Galleshaw still in bed, authorities said. Galleshaw lives alone.

Firefighters administered CPR and were able to get a pulse before she was rushed to a hospital in New Hampshire. She was later transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital.

Investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire started in electrical wiring in the basement.

Fire damage was confined to the basement but the rest of the one-story house sustained heavy smoke damage, authorities said.

The fire was under control by 9 a.m.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

dhench@pressherald.com

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)