Wednesday, April 16, 2014
2011 Beach to Beacon
Rollover images for captions
Read the latest
- High School Softball Preview: Cape’s Tinsman has gone to the top
She’s traveled the country for club play but plans to take her game to UMaine.
- Red Sox lose 2-1 on error in the ninth
Xander Bogaerts throws a grounder away as a White Sox runner scores from second.
- Flynn was a scorer at Maine, now a defender in the NHL
Brian Flynn changed his game to stay in Buffalo.
- Colleges: St. Joseph’s spreads the scoring in 17-1 win
A total of 16 players score in a women’s lacrosse victory over Anna Maria.
- Baseball emulates Robinson’s strides
On the 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, baseball deserves plenty of praise.
- Who will be the hot goaltender at the heart of a Stanley Cup run?
- New NCAA proposal would allow unlimited meals, snacks
UConn’s Shabazz Napier kicked off a furor about going hungry, and the NCAA reacted quickly.
- More former hockey players sue NHL over concussions
Three retired players allege that the league has promoted fighting and downplayed the risk of head injuries in a lawsuit that is similar to one brought by football players.
- Softball preview: Area’s 25 Players to Watch
- Softball: 10 teams to watch in 2014
- Pirates season finale moved from Lewiston to Saco
After a scheduling standoff with the Kora Shrine Circus, the team opts to play it out at the 400-seat MHG Ice Centre in Saco.
- Sea Dogs’ McMillon back at Hadlock, with major-league vision
McMillon, who made the big leagues as a player, hopes to return there as a manager.
- Pitching prospect Owens off against Mets, but Sea Dogs still win
Portland’s bats and bullpen come through for a 9-4 decision against Binghamton.
- After dismal season, UMaine ousts men’s basketball coach
Ted Woodward had only one winning season in 10 years, and player transfers were hurting the program.
- Steve Solloway: UMaine men’s basketball doesn’t need miracle worker
The program needs a coach who can change the culture of loosing seasons and the cynicism of fans.
- Celtics lose, 113-108, as game-tying shot is disallowed
Boston makes it close, but becomes the only NBA team that the 76ers have beaten more than once.
- Tom Caron: Tragedy and triumph linked for the Boston Marathon
Next Monday’s race is the next step in healing for the city
- Colleges: USM routs UMass-Boston in baseball
Chris Bernard swings a hot bat for the Huskies.
- Red Wings have made these Bruins look ordinary
The Boston Bruins had the NHL’s best record, but are 1-3 in the regular season against their first-round playoff opponent.
- This year, some very good NHL teams will exit playoffs early
At least two West teams with more than 100 points will be ousted in the first round.
- Olympic legend Michael Phelps ends retirement two years before Rio
But his coach says the winningest athlete in Olympic history is ‘pretty far’ from being back in top form.
- Trotz out as coach of Predators
Former Portland Pirates coach Barry Trotz is out after 15 seasons in Nashville.
- Maine's ‘best snowmobiling’ season in 20 years could stretch into May
Riders are optimistic that the ‘extraordinary’ winter snow will last in the northern and western parts of the state.
- Upon further review, Sox still lose
Aided by another disputed replay ruling, the Yankees take a 3-2 victory against the Red Sox.
- Bubba tames Augusta for 2nd Masters title
His easy win shows he’s even better-suited to wear the green jacket.
- Masters notes: Old guard’s finishes give this round a hint of nostalgia
- Sea Dogs’ winning streak ends at four
Portland gets just five hits in a 6-3 loss to New Britain at Hadlock Field.
- Maine Colleges: UMaine completes baseball sweep against UMass-Lowell
The Black Bears earn a third straight one-run victory, 2-1.
- Portland Hockey Trust gives elementary students a chance to play
The free 20-year-old after-school program wraps up its season with an annual 'trophy game.'
- Pirates lose to Norfolk in shootout
Portland forces overtime with a goal in the closing seconds but still suffers its eighth straight loss.
High School Football 2013