LOUISVILLE, Ky. – An Indiana toddler found in a field after violent tornadoes died Sunday after being taken off life support, ending a hopeful tale for survivors in the Midwest and South picking through the storms’ devastation.

Fifteen-month-old Angel Babcock of New Pekin was found after her family’s mobile home was destroyed in Friday’s storms. Her father, mother and two siblings were killed.

When Angel arrived at Kosair Children’s Hospital in Louisville on Friday night, she was opening her eyes — a hopeful sign, chief nursing officer Cis Gruebbel said.

Her prognosis dimmed Saturday, when the swelling in her brain didn’t decrease, Gruebbel said. As the day went on, her eyes ceased to move and she continued to deteriorate. There was no sign of brain activity.

Medical staff told the family there wasn’t anything more they could do. With extended family gathered to say goodbye, the family made the decision to end life support Sunday.

“Angel has been reunited with her parents,” her maternal grandfather, Jack Brough, said in a statement. “We want to thank God for all of you and for your thoughts and prayers. God will bring you and all of us out of this. This is what it will take. All should look to God.”

The girl’s death brings the overall toll from Friday’s storms to 39 across five states. Rescuers were still going door to door in rural areas to rule out more victims. Another round of storms earlier last week killed 13 people in the Midwest and South, the latest in a string of severe-weather episodes ravaging the American heartland in the past year.

On Sunday, people gathered to worship, sort through piles of debris and learn what happened to loved ones and friends, often without modern technology to help.

Cellphone signals were hard to find, Internet was out and electricity indefinitely interrupted. In many cases, word-of-mouth conversations replaced text messages, Facebook status updates and phone calls.

Mechanic Randy Mattingly, 24, said he and his Henryville, Ind., neighbors passed on information by word of mouth to make sure people were OK: “It was like, ‘Hey, did you talk to this guy?’” He said state police quickly set up two gathering points for adults and children, at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church and at a nearby community center.

At Sunday’s Mass at St. Francis Xavier, the Rev. Steve Schaftlein turned the church into an information exchange, asking the 100 or so in attendance to stand up and share what they knew.

Lisa Smith, who has been Henryville’s postmaster for six weeks, told people that they could pick up their mail in Scottsburg, about 10 miles north. She said she was most worried about people needing medication and she had been shaking boxes to see if they had pills inside with hopes of connecting them to their recipients.

A local insurance agent, Lyn Murphy-Carter, shared another story. The founder of her agency, 84-year-old Tom Murphy, had told her always to keep paper records. That proved valuable without access to computers. She collected about 1,000 claims Saturday alone, and was gathering handwritten claims from policyholders at church.

In West Liberty, Ky., Doris Shuck was cleaning her house when the storm approached, and she headed for the basement. The storm took her home, leaving only the basement and front porch.

“I could hear the glass and hear the wood breaking. I just thought the house is going to fall on top of me,” she said.

In Indiana, about 2,800 homes were without power, down from 8,000 in the hours after the storms. But in some hard-hit areas, like Henryville, a substation and transmission lines need to be rebuilt, and that could take up to a week.

Almost 19,000 customers were without power in Kentucky, according to the state’s Public Service Commission, and a few thousand more from municipal utilities and TVA, which the PSC does not track.

Cellphone companies were trying to help residents by setting up mobile charging and email stations so they could communicate while power and cell service were still difficult to find.

They also brought in portable towers to boost signals, and service was improving Sunday.