Charles Hannaford spent more than 40 years running a machine at the former Jordan’s Meats plant in Portland that stuffed and linked sausage and hot dogs for packaging.

Outside the plant, Mr. Hannaford was a husband and father of five children who embraced his love of family, the outdoors and the community. He died Tuesday after a long illness. He was 94.

Family and friends will gather at 11 a.m. Friday at Hobbs Funeral Home in South Portland to remember a man they say was positive, happy and comfortable in his own skin.

At Jordan’s Meats, Mr. Hannaford had a modest job that kept him on his feet most of the day. He did the same job throughout his career and was proud of it, said his son, Gregory Hannaford, of Gorham.

“Any chance he had to give a tour, he did. You would have thought he was the president of the company. He was so proud, showing people this and pointing out that.”

Mr. Hannaford retired at age 62. Soon after, he learned how to ski. He skied at Shawnee Peak and Mt. Abram until his early 80s when doctors had to amputate his right leg.

In retirement, he also started riding a motorcycle and pursued a passion for hiking. He enjoyed camping in Baxter State Park and climbing Mt. Katahdin until he was 80 years old. His son said he enjoyed the physical challenge of climbing.

“It’s where he wanted to be. He felt at home,” his son said, noting that he went often with him. “It meant a lot to be with him. It was always a good time. It’s something we shared … very good memories.”

Hannaford, a life-long South Portland resident, was married to his wife Arletta for 54 years. The couple met through his Arletta’s brother while the men were serving with the Army’s 103rd Infantry Regiment. He served during World War II in the Asiatic Pacific Theater in the Guadalcanal, Northern Solomons, New Guinea and Luzon campaigns, according to his obituary.

His son said he was proud of his service. On Sept. 11, 2001, the then 81 year-old, Mr. Hannaford went to the Army Recruiting Center in South Portland and volunteered to serve again.

“He told them he couldn’t fight, but he could drive a truck,” his son recalled.

Mr. Hannaford was dedicated father who was active in his kids’ lives. His son shared memories of family vacations, and spending nearly every Saturday at Sebago Lake during the summer.

“He would always take time to play with us, no matter how tired he was,” his son said. “He was never too busy to answer a question. He was always at our games, school plays or church plays, and he always kept in touch with us.”

Mr. Hannaford had a strong connection to the community. He was a longtime member of the South Portland Church of the Nazarene, serving as a greeter and usher for many years.

While in his 70s, he traveled to Peru with members of his church to build a school or church there.

“He fell in love with the people in that community, especially the kids,” his son said. “He never stopped talking about it.”