Four acres
The size of sandy and pebbly Willard Beach, which occupies Simonton Cove between Fisherman’s Point and the Southern Maine Community College campus. (
Opened June 9, 1896
The Willard Beach Casino, a trolley destination that cost $30,000 to build and featured a dance hall, a bathhouse, a bowling alley and an orchestrian (automatic pipe organ) burned in January 1898. (
75 vehicles
Capacity of the Willard Beach parking lot on Willow Street. (
A century old
The Scratch Bakery Co. building in Willard Square dates to 1918 and has previously served as “an A&P grocery, a pharmacy, a heating company, a children’s clothing store, and others lost in time.” (
Dog days
Between May 1 and Sept. 30, dogs are allowed on the beach only before 9 a.m. and after 7 p.m. (
Getcher sandwitches!
The Willard Haven Hotel, whose sign promised “PIZZA, SANDWITCHES, SOFT DRINKS,” was razed and burned in 1967. (
In 1907
Willard Beach was designated a South Portland city park. (
Tracking device
Willard Beach, like Riverton Park and Cape Cottage Casino, was among the popular tourist destinations served by electric railway. (
Victorian rendering
Artist John Bradley Hudson (1832-1903) whose shop was on the edge of today’s Tommy’s Park in Portland, painted an evocative landscape showing Simonton Cove. (See:

On the Market in and around Willard Beach

Comments are not available on this story.